5 Notable Features to Keep in Mind When Developing a Guided Meditation App like Calm
5 Notable Features to Keep in Mind When Developing a Guided Meditation App like Calm
“This blog is for those startups and entrepreneurs, who want to develop a meditation app like Calm. Here, we have mentioned top 5 features that you need to keep in mind when developing a guided meditation app. Let’s give a look!”
To get some peace and relaxation, people prefer to meditate whenever they get time. They wanted to take a break from their hectic schedule and office chores to feel an inner calm. Whether they prefer deep breathing or guided imagery to get relax their mind, mediation can have a significant impact on their mental and physical health.
Today, millions of people practice meditation every day using some of the top meditation apps like Calm, Headspace, Simple Habit, Pacifica, Shine, 10% Happier and The Mindfulness. In the recent time, mindfulness and meditation apps have gained a huge popularity that Apple editors named this category asone of four breakout trends in app culture in 2017.
Talking about the most popular mindful meditation app, Calm (Apple’s best iPhone app of 2017) hasraised $27 million in a new financing round that values the company at a $250 million. The pre-money round led by Insight Venture Partners along with Ashton Kutcher’s Sound Ventures also participating. Earlier, the company raised approximately $1.5 million in seed funding.
Success Story of Calm: The Best Guided Meditation App
- Calm was founded in 2014 by British entrepreneurs named Michael Acton Smith and Alex Tew with the aim to make the world happier and healthier.
- In 2013, the company began developing its library of guided meditations and soothing nature sounds and scenes.
- Then, in 2014, Tamara Levitt joined the company as Head of Mindfulness with its 20+ years of meditation expertise. She has been Calm’s meditation instructor ever since.
- Today, Calm is the #1 app for mindfulness and meditation with more than 26 million downloads and over 225,000 5-star reviews.
- Recently, the app named “the world’s happiest app” by the Center for Humane Technology.
- Last year, Calm app was selected by Apple App Store editors as the best meditation app on the App Store in 2017.
A few years ago, it was quite challenging to convince investors that a mindfulness app can end-up as a successful business, but the increasing focus on mental health from startups and big companies, entrepreneurs and companies like Calm are grabbing the attention of investors.
Being a startup, if you have made-up your mind to develop one of the best guided meditation apps like Calm, don’t forget to include these 4 features to make your app successful:
1. Guided Meditation for Everyone
It is must that you allow all the people to mediate with your application by providing them with a complete guide about it. You can include a guide on mediation for everyone in the app, helping users to learn how to meditate and practice breathing exercise.
In addition, make your application in such way that it can be easily accessed by all age group of people like children, youngsters, and adults. Beginners can practice meditation whenever and wherever possible following guidance.
Along with beginners, you can include programs for intermediate and advanced meditators and gurus. Whether beginners or trained meditators, they must train their mind in just a few minutes a day and should not face any problem with your app. In a nutshell, guided meditation will teach beginners and experienced meditators the life-changing skill of mediation.
2. Mindfulness and Meditation Exercises
Through mindfulness and meditation exercises, you can allow your app users to learn meditation techniques that will help them in getting relax, manage their stress and fight insomnia and other depression problems.
Let’s take an example of Calm application that provides its users with breathing exercise feature, enabling them to get relax and feel peaceful. The selection ranges from 3-minute to 25-minute sessions, it also includes a feature called Daily Calm, a minute program to practice before the beginning or end of the day.
When developing your own app for mediation, you can provide your users with different techniques like relaxation breathing, mindful breathing, and mindful breathing meditation. Apart from this, provide users with different exercises to practice meditation.
3. Sessions on Everything from Stress to Happiness
An essential feature that you can consider while developing a mindfulness app is a session on different topics like stress, stress management, insomnia, depression, happiness, peace, relaxation, body scan, forgiveness, walk mediation, and more.
By covering all these sessions, you can allow your users to listen and practice meditation. Such sessions will help people to fight depression and feel happiness by getting relax. You can provide these sessions in different lengths like 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or 60 minutes, allowing users to choose the right length that fits in their schedule.
4. Allow Users to Track Daily Progress and Meditation Time
Tracking the daily progress and mediation time is much important for users to keep going and improving. If you will include a tracking feature, it will help users to know their daily time that they spend on mediation, listening to music, reading stories or listening sessions. They can even track their progress and compare it to know whether they have improved or not.
By tracking daily habits of meditating, reading, and listening to soothing music, users can get help in accomplishing their target easily. Once they achieve their target of meditating or reading, they can share it with their friends through social media. Make sure that you allow your app users to directly share their progress from the app and can invite friends and family members.
5. Push Notification to Keep Users Engaged
Push notification plays an important role when it comes to keep users engaged and connected with your application. It is considered as a retargeting tool, helping you to keep your users near to your app.
Whether there is any new feature in the app, introducing new music, a session on any topic or any offer for people, you can directly let your users know through notification without asking them to open the app.
Apart from this, push notification will help you to send a reminder to visit your app and experience another meditation session. Moreover, don’t forget about the gamification element. And, keep reminding your users to keep their score high, use the app every day, and give beginner tips on how to mediate.
Some of the Recommended Features to Consider
- Stories: Meditation and mindfulness stories of the people, who fought depression and other problem and happily doing meditation. By including this feature, you can encourage and motivate beginners to meditate and experience peace.
- Thousands of Tracks and Soothing Music: Along with the above-given features, you can consider including thousands of tracks and soothing music, allowing people to listen whenever they get time. Include sounds and music of water, trees, birds chirping and more that help people to improve focus, sleep and give them peace.
- One-to-one chat support: Allow your app users to have a one-to-one chat with experts, meditators and gurus to talk about their problems and discuss their queries related to meditation. They can discuss and get a solution from the experts.
With the increasing demand for meditation app, meditation app development seems a good idea for startups and entrepreneurs. Developing a meditation app like Calm or Headspace is not difficult if you consider the pain points of users and provide a solution through the app. Include requisite features and functionalities in the app, helping beginners and experienced meditators to get relax and feel peace.
If you think that your meditation app for Android can change the lives of millions of people and help them fight depression or stress, then discuss your idea with as we are a leading Android apps development company. With the experience of developing over 3500 mobile apps of different categories, we can be a perfect partner todevelop Android applications under mental health and mindfulness category.
Still, if you have any query related to mediation app development, just fill-up the below-given form and one of our sales representatives will get back to you within 48 hours.
Have an App Idea?
Get your free consultation now