Bikram Yoga is a popular yogic form which comprises twenty-six different postures and 2 breathing exercises that must be performed within 90 minutes. The room is heated to about 40 degrees before performing these postures, and each of these is known to possess healing properties for specific veins, muscles, joints, ligaments and internal organs of the body.
The hot temperature makes Bikram yoga unique among other yoga disciplines. The Bikram yoga’s twenty-six posture exercises systematically move freshly oxygenated blood to each part of the body.
Bikram Yoga is considered very beneficial to cure back pain. For back pain, it is not only considered safe but advantageous too. By practicing Bikram yoga twice a week, one can experience noticeable improvements. The combination of heat and humidity also helps the body to perform deeper stretches without discomfort.
Advantages of Bikram Yoga
There are several advantages of resorting to Bikram Yoga for treating back related problems. Some of them are
- Back pain is usually caused due to rigidity and weakness of muscles. Bikram Yoga, also known as ‘Hot Yoga’ relaxes the muscles and strengthens the ones supporting the hips and shoulders, providing relief to backaches
- Bikram Yoga is particularly suitable in cases of herniated discs which cause major lower back problems. Some of these poses have miraculous effects in such cases and can be a better alternative to long-term medications
- Sciatica pains, which are primarily nerve oriented problems, can also be soothed substantially with Bikram Yoga sessions. Sciatica pains worsen during the emotional turbulence of any kind, and it is then that Bikram Yoga helps you gain control over your emotions so that such aggravated pains can be controlled
- Sometimes, women experience chronic lower back aches that may worsen during premenstrual symptoms. Bikram Yoga can be useful in such cases as well. It helps in relaxing muscles and flushing of toxins from the body, facilitating painless and free movement of the body.
Precautions to be taken
The advantages of Bikram Yoga for backaches are subject to certain mandatory precautions. Some of them are:
- Postures need to be practiced under the guidance and supervision of a trained instructor
- Your yogic postures should be accurate. Assess your pain endurance level so that you do not subject it to more than what your body can handle
- Avoid sharp forward bends if the pain is too much
- Stay hydrated throughout the session.
Bikram yoga offers various other health benefits. Some of them are:
- It helps in healing old injuries and chronic pain
- It prevents respiratory problems
- It helps in burning fat and aids weight loss
- It strengthens muscles and improves the flexibility of the spine
- It helps to stretch and strengthen sciatic nerves and tendons in the legs
- It improves the efficiency of the immune system.
So what are you waiting for? Practice Bikram Yoga and avail its benefits!
Read more articles on Alternative Therapies.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth app.